Isaiah 61:3

Isaiah 61:3 - They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.

Monday 18 April 2011

Sacrifices

Making sacrifices is something I've thought a lot about since becoming a mom. Our family grew quickly - we went from 2 to 5 in less than a year. The sacrifices were immediate and life-changing! Sleep was one of the first things to go, along with free time and spontaneity. Initially, we made these sacrifices willingly and with great joy. We were so very excited to welcome these beautiful babies into our home! Over time, however, I've noticed a tendency to let self-pity and resentment creep in. I have found myself easily frustrated when my plans are sabotaged and my "needs" go unmet. I remember being forced to abandon my attempts to do yoga one afternoon when Kolbie started throwing the foam bricks at me. It's pretty funny when I think about it now, but at the time I narrowly avoided bursting into tears. I felt overwhelmed but really, what a small sacrifice I was making!

With Easter weekend approaching, I've been thinking about the sacrifices Jesus made for us. I've been reminded that we are called to live and love as He did. In Philippians 2:5-11, Paul writes
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
This certainly helps bring those little, daily sacrifices into perspective. I am called to have the same attitude as Jesus - an attitude of humility and servanthood. Motherhood provides daily opportunities to put the needs of others first! Instead of viewing these sacrifices as necessary aggravations that must be endured if I want to be a mom, I can view them as ways to fulfill my spiritual calling - a life of decreasing selfishness and increasing love. Suddenly I feel inspired - I want to do more than survive the pre-school years... I want to be the best person I can be. I want to emerge more like Christ, and less like the selfish little girl who felt like crying when her yoga plans fell apart!

This Easter weekend, I want to reflect on Christ's great love for me, and renew my determination to live out that love. I want to reclaim motherhood as a high calling, made noble and sacred as we identify ourselves with Christ through our sacrificial living.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Everyone always talks about what to give up for Lent, but it's a short term sacrifice and can usually be accomplished without too great a pain. But you're right - motherhood is a daily calling, a high spiritual calling that is noble, and makes us a better person. To think of those yoga crying moments as opportunities to be more Christ like, of opportunities to be the best mother, instead of how just to survive and not lose it, is a great reflection and direction. Thanks Colleen...

    ReplyDelete